Can we just talk about tacos for a bit? I think they need a moment.
I love Mexican food--I mean, who doesn't? It's delicious, cheap, cheesy, salty, and goes with margaritas. Mmm. But one of the best things about it is when you make it at home, you can have it's leftovers for about 20 meals. Ok, probably not that many, but if you start with a few basic ingredients and swap out a few unique ones, one meal can become several.
- Black beans (or refried)
- Meat (chicken, beef, fish)
- Sour cream
- Cheese (cheddar, cotijo, feta)
- Corn chips
- Tortillas (corn, flour)
- Hot sauce
- Taco seasoning: cumin, chili powder, salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper
Let's look at a few variations on how to use those taco night leftovers throughout the week!
- Tacos (obvi)
- Breakfast Scramble: add eggs + cheddar
- Breakfast burrito: add eggs, crispy bacon as the meat, and crunchy hashbrowns
- Taco salad: over lettuce and corn chips!
- Tostada: over a fried tortilla; drizzle some melted white queso
- Huevos Rancheros via Food Network
- Nachos: add pickled jalapenos or pepperocinis
- Enchiladas: requires a few more ingredients but worth it!
- Mexican pizza: plop a fried egg and hot sauce on top
You know on busy work weeks, that Mexican is on the menu in our house! What other versions of taco night do you make with your leftover ingredients?!