Sometimes it's just a carb week, amIright? I was craving red meat, tomato sauce, and pasta this week, so I decided to combine a couple recipes to create a delicious new dinner:
Baked Italian Sausage Rigatoni
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 box (16 oz.) rigatoni pasta
- Olive oil for cooking
- Oil spray to grease the pan
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed with a knife
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Shaved parmesan + chopped fresh parsley to top
- Cook the pasta for 10 minutes, until just about al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees + lightly grease your 9x13 baking dish.
- Meanwhile, heat a small drizzle of olive oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add Italian sausage, crumble + cook until brown.
- Scooch the sausage to the side of the skillet, and add chopped onion + garlic. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, + basil. Stir together + cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine and let it bubble and reduce for about 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes + sugar; stir and simmer.
- Turn heat to low. Stir in the ricotta + pasta noodles to combine with sauce.
- Pour entire mix into your baking dish. Top with mozzarella + grated parmesan.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until melted and bubbling.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes. Then garnish with parsley and shaved parmesan and serve.
I think next time, I might slice some fresh mozzarella to put on top so it's even more melty and cheesy. Mmm. Serve with a side green salad and a garlic butter baguette and enjoy!