There are some recipes that just take you back! My Grandmommy always made her own special chicken salad anytime we visited Kentucky in the summer, so it's not really a true summer to me until I've had it. I'm currently eating it as I type, so you know it's good!
It's more of a throw-together than a recipe, but you know I like simple food like that. Also, people can be pretty particular about chicken salad, since it comes in so many varieties--grapes, nuts, dill. This version is pretty straight-up and simple!
Grandmommy's Chicken Salad
- 20 oz. chicken breasts, boiled until done and chopped finely
- Real mayo, 1/2 to 1 cup (Grandmommy says not to let the chicken salad to be dry!)
- 2 stalks celery, diced finely
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- Salt + Pepper to taste
Chop it all up and mix together! Adjust quantities until it tastes good to you!
I was busy today so I took a couple shortcuts:
- Instead of boiling chicken breasts, I used canned organic chicken
- Pre-chopped walnuts from the baking aisle
Miss my Grandmommy something fierce, but making recipes like this always make her feel near!