first off--bachelorette anyone?!?! are we liking des? who are your top picks? could bryden look anymore like josh hartnett? can't wait to read up on knoxmccoy's recap today...always a hoot!
anybody else subscribe to real simple magazine? i love finding it in my mailbox each month! they always have a feature recipe section highlighting one type of food or ingredient, and i like to give at least one of the recipes a try to see if it makes the cut into our regular dinner repertoire.
last week we made that beautiful cheddar turkey burger above and i definitely recommend the recipe. it was quick and easy--perfect for a weeknight meal. and it's relatively healthy and most importantly--yummy! you know i love me some avocados.
the original recipe can be found on realsimple.com: HERE. i made a couple revisions (italicized) based on how i would alter mine for next time.
Cheddar Turkey Burgers w/ Avocado Mash
Makes 4 burgers. Total time: 30 minutes
- coconut oil, to oil the grill grate
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey
- 1 egg (my addition, for extra moisture)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1/4 small red onion grated
- 1/4 small red onion thinly sliced
- 4 hamburger buns
- Fire that grill up and get that puppy hot! After about 10 minutes, oil the grate.
- Mash the avocado, mix in lime juice, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper until combined but still chunky.
- Hand mix the turkey, egg, grated onion, cheddar, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, in a bowl until just combined.
- Divide into four patties.
- Grill burgers for 6-8 minutes on each side, until your desired doneness.
- Grill the buns split side down until toasted.
- Stack bun, burger, avocado mash, and sliced red onion.
- You could add a dash of hot sauce on top for some extra zing, or top with a schmear of mayo or ranch dressing!
We served it with tater tots (we were out of my favorites: Alexa sweet potato tots!) and grilled sliced pineapple (summer fave--just char it on the gril, and you can even drizzle some honey or sprinkle brown sugar on top if you have a sweet tooth!).
nomnomnom! is it lunchtime yet?