I couldn't just let the beautiful artichokes from yesterday's post (find my fruit + veggie candles here) go to waste after they starred in a blog photo shoot...so I searched around for a simple and yummy recipe, since i'd never actually cooked whole, fresh artichokes before. let me tell you, they are delicious but those suckers are tough to saw into!
we are way into grilling this summer. i've never had a place with AC since living in LA, so when summer hits and we have a few hot days, you'll do anything to not heat up the house. so outdoor cooking it is! i found this recipe online HERE, and made a few tweaks:
Grilled Garlic Artichokes
- 2 whole artichokes
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- Set a pot of water on high to boil.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with cold water and squeeze the juice of one lemon into it.
- Chop (bust out the chainsaw, folks) about 1/2 inch off the top, or "crown," of each artichoke. Peel off a few of the outermost leaves. Cut stem down to 1/2 inch. Then cut in half lengthwise, and plop in the water/lemon bowl to prevent browning.
- Preheat an outdoor grill.
- Add artichokes to the boiling water. Cook 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a separate bowl, mix the juice of the remaining 3 lemon wedges, olive oil, garlic, salt + pepper.
- Brush the artichokes with the sauce mix above, and place on the grill.
- Grill them for 5 to 10 minutes, basting with sauce + flipping every 2 minutes or so. Grill until the tips are charred.
- Add mayo to the remaining sauce and use as a dip!
we served them with grilled chicken (that had been marinated in Italian dressing--a favorite easy standby), garlic bread, and rice pilaf.
now that i've tackled them, i can't wait to use them in other recipes! one of my favorite restaurants in college (flat branch, holla!) had an amaaaazing burger that was topped with a "chokes + cheese" spread. i think that will be my next foray into the world of artichokes!
how do you normally cook artichokes?